Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Market Meetings and Trainings
March Vendor Rep Meeting
March 15, 2022, 3-4 pm
In attendance: Cordelia, Angelina, Sierra, Mary and Kay
- Change meeting time – third Wednesday of each month from
- Next meeting May 18th from 3-4 pm
- Next Quarterly Vendor Meeting – 12:30-1:30 pm at Tuesday Market April
- Ideas for speaker – Rebecca from LDAF re: FMNP going electronic (does anyone have other ideas?)
- BBQ Catered Lunch?
- Easter Sunday Market – Sunday, April 17th
- T&R – not planning on coming
- Family holiday – will customers come out?
- Morning time = church time (not assuming that everyone goes to church → busy time)
- Sunday at the Great Lawn - May 15th
- Customer / Vendor Survey
- Working with Monica Sylvain and Trep Wise to do a big survey for the community
- What questions would you include?
- Maddiy: asking customers what needs aren’t being met; what vendors they want to see at market / what days they would like to add a new market; how many markets would you work a week – formulate for what day and time / if you had ability to prepay, would there be discount / market fee decrease to incentive new market opening
- Kay thinks vendors would answer questions about income in relative terms i.e. did you do better in 2021 than 2022
- Maddiy: customers have expressed interest in the bywater market
- How can we incentivize vendors to take the survey? – rafﬂe to waive vendor fee? Take $5 off next market
- Spring TA Series - starts next week!
- Beginner farmer rancher development training program
- Train the train for Market managers – using a scoring system to help vendors improve vendor stalls and measure how change can improve score
- AHA update (Cordelia)
- Lobbying for statewide market match
- New Vendors: LeRuth’s, Robert Williams (Lester Williams’ brother) with produce on Sunday, Williby’s Catﬁsh
- Labeling requirements
- Branded merchandise policy
- Prepared food RFA
- Please add agenda items here.
February Vendor Rep Meeting
February 15, 2022, 3-4 pm
- Change meeting time – new meeting time – Sierra will send out a doodle poll
- Market Closures: March 1st for Mardi Gras
- New Vendors in the works: Micro Pharms, Cocolon Slaw, Jubilee Justice, Williby’s Catfish and Viola Heritage
- Prepared Food Vendors RFA
- Sampling at market again?
- COVID Testing at Tuesday Uptown Market
- Labeling Requirements - deadline April 1st, 2022 – flyer will be distributed soon
- Spring TA Series
- Sessions: DEAI at market, consumer behavior/marketing to increase sales, food safety at the farmers market from LSU, CRAFT network, storm/hurricane preparedness + resources to get prepared (which includes farm insurance)
- Quarterly Vendor Meeting plans – getting guest speakers. Recs? Pipeline incl. LDAF re: FMNP going electronic, USDA... sprout farmer resources
- other examples: bankers for small businesses, farm bureau, etc
- Producer site visits for board members: who, what, where, when
- Second round of site visits for Crescent Fund going out this week
- Heather offered her space up – building a new event barn
- Terry – potential to see bees, but would have to take safety precautions
- Thursday Market → diagonal set up to fit more vendors?
- Please add agenda items here.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.