Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Traditional Southern hot boiled peanuts. Raw peanuts boiled in salt water for a salty, shell-shucking-worthy snack.
- 1 pound raw "green" peanuts (not the color green, but fresh raw peanuts which are called green peanuts)
- 1/4 cup (35g) kosher salt, preferably Diamond Crystal (or 2 tablespoons table salt)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning, smoked paprika, shrimp boil mix, or even star anise
- Rinse the peanuts: Thoroughly rinse raw unshelled peanuts in water
- Put water, salt, seasoning, & peanuts in a large stockpot, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat just enough to maintain a low boil. Boil for 2 to 3 hours or longer, until peanuts reach desired level of softness.
- Drain and eat up within a couple of days
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes
November 10 until March 9, Thursday Market is operating within its Winter Hours of 3-6 pm to accommodate the end of Daylight Saving.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.