Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Black-Eyed Pea Cabbage Soup
Bring some good luck and wealth into your new year by making this delicious Black-Eyed Pea Cabbage Soup! Chock full of veggies, this soup is a healthy way to start 2022.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 3 to 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried black-eyed peas uncooked (if using fresh, frozen peas from the market, use the entire 1 lb. bag)
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- Few drops hot sauce or pinch cayenne (optional)
Brown the ground beef, onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic clove in a skillet on top of the stove. Drain and add to a large soup pot.
Next, add cabbage, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, dried black-eyed peas, Cajun seasoning, and cayenne to the pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, and cook for 45 to 60 minutes until dried peas are done. Serve and enjoy!
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.