Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Position Title: Business Coordinator
Position Type: Part-time, in office work.
Salary Range: $15-$17 per hour up to 20 hours a week. This position is expected to be flexible with the number of hours worked per week as the workload fluctuates week to week.
Market Umbrella is a 27-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates three weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 70 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually. In addition, Market Umbrella offers a weekly home delivery produce box. We offer a variety of SNAP education and nutrition education programs, and several food access programs including Market Mommas Club and Market Match. Finally, we are launching a statewide Market Match program this year called Greaux the Good.
General Position Description:
The Business Coordinator is a part-time staff member responsible for assisting in the token economy and financial operations of the Crescent City Farmers Market. Market Umbrella operates the Crescent City Farmers Market with three markets per week. This position will assist in maintaining financial records of transactions at markets and accounting for them at the end of market day.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Complete market closeouts for each CCFM market per week.
- Retrieve rent and/or reimbursement tokens from the locked mailbox, verify quantities, and post corresponding entries into QuickBooks.
- Works with staff of the Crescent City Farmers Market to reconcile market transactions and ensure that market financial systems are accurate and efficient. Provides training and retraining where needed.
- Input financial entries into QuickBooks (including all market transactions, accounts payable, bank deposits, etc.).
- Oversee all accounts payable, including marinating the online login database, submitting bills to the Director of Markets and Executive Director for payment approval, etc.
- Set new token, voucher, and cash banks, as needed.
- Assist with grant survey data entry for the Market Match token program.
- Assist with vendor rent processing and reconciliation. Includes: verifying payment has been made, marking invoices in QuickBooks as paid or posting the token rent payment journal entry, and updating the vendor rent tracking database.
- Assist with end-of-year financial requirements, such as preparing tax donation letters for donors.
- And other duties on an as-needed basis.
- High school diploma.
- 1-2 years of experience with cash management in a retail or financial setting.
- 1-2 years of experience using QuickBooks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- High attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Ability to work in an open office environment with a diverse staff, vendor, and customer base.
- General knowledge of computers, printers, phones, etc.
- Some college accounting coursework or pursuing a degree in accounting or business.
- Interest and belief in local food access programs to support vulnerable communities.
We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (at least one a current or former supervisor) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.